Monday, August 23, 2010

Family History Family Home Evening - Back to School Father's Blessings and Goals!


School is officially in session!
I can't believe how fast the summer flew by.
Walking back onto the school grounds just brings it all back.
It actually felt like we were never gone!

Last night we followed a tradition that both my husband and I
have enjoyed from the time we were little.
Back to School
Father's Blessings!
Everyone got a blessing before school,
whether you were in school or not.
Picture from Sugar Doodle Clip Art . . . October 2002
I am blessed to have a husband who can do this in our own home,

but Home Teachers, or any other worthy priesthood holder
can step in and give needed blessings as well.

I listened as each of my boys where given a blessing that
was very specific to their needs and personalities, and knowing
that it came from a loving Heavenly Father through
the priesthood is something I will always be grateful for.
Tonight is a Family History
Family Home Evening.
We started a new tradition a few years ago to go along with
our Back to School Father's Blessings.


We sit down with each of our boys and have them write down
as much as they can remember from their blessings.
It seems like each blessing includes areas of strength,
weakness, and sometimes a warning or a caution.
We also set goals for school.
We make sure to add a few incentives for good grades
just to keep their attention and to offer a little extra encouragement.
These pages are added to our Family History Book so that they
can be read as often as necessary.
Another AAAMMMMMMAZING Tradition we started
last year is for MOM and DAD.
We realized that the husbands missed out on the opportunity
for Back to School Father's Blessings,
so we got together as families at my parent's home for
good food and the opportunity for the adults to recieve a blessing.
It was truly a special night.
We were able to spend some time with the whole family
as well as some one-on-one time with my parents.
We have a lot of fun family traditions . . . but this one
is at the top of the list for favorites.
My dad and mom took the opportunity to bear their testimonies
so that the kids would know what it means
to have the blessings of the priesthood in our family.
Time for TREATS!

Here's the Recipe:
2 Tbsp. Oil
8-oz. Tube Refrigerated Biscuits, Quartered
1/4 cup Sugar
1-2 tsp. Cinnamon
Instructions:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat;
Add quartered biscuits a few at a time.
Cook until puffy and golden on both sides.
Drain on paper towels; repeat with remaining biscuits.
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl;
Roll doughnuts to coat.
Serve warm!
Makes 2-2 1/2 Dozen.
Here's the Recipe PDF:
Family Home Evening Recipe: Simple Cinnamon-Sugar Doughnuts PDF
Here's the Family History Page PDF:
Back to School Blessings Packet PDF
Have a GREAT Night!!!

4 comments:

S. L. said...

I have been scouring your blog for the past 2 days and am AMAZED at what an amazing organized and talented woman you are!! the content is incredible, the graphics and PDF files you provide are adorable, and will be life changing for me and my family while I incorporate them into my family. I LOVE these blessing cards!! (along with EVERYTHING ELSE on your blog!!!) Thank you THANK YOU for making them all available for free for anyone to download and print. Thanks again for all you do :) Your blog is officially one of my absolute fav blogs (and I stalk A LOTof blogs!(; )

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Thank You so much for taking the time to send me a note! It made my night!
Trish

Susan E said...

LOVE your blog. I use it quite frequently for family home evening ideas and especially love your back to school - father's blessing idea. . . I will def be using this one! Thanks again for your willingness to share.

Malia said...

I was searching google for back to school family home evenings and came upon this post. Thank you for sharing! We just did Father's Blessings last night (night before school) and I was thinking the same thing... hubs didn't get one. I think it such a great idea to record what they remember also. Thank you for these suggestions :) aloha, malia