Sunday, August 8, 2010

Vital Records - Food Storage Inventory!

We are in the HOME Section
of our
Vital Records Binder
which includes a
Food Storage Inventory.
Keeping track of the food we have stored can definitely
be over-whelming.  Trying to keep track of what's coming
in and what's going out on your own is hard enough,
but when you add the rest of the family to the mix
a perfect system can fail in minutes.
The pages I'm including in this section were created with
the FAMILY in mind.
Here's How The System Works:
As a family . . . take one area of your food storage
at a time.  List each of the items you have on your shelves
on the Food Storage Inventory Sheet.
It's important to have the whole family help, so that they
can understand the system and be a part of
setting it up.  It's also a great time to explain
the blessings of food storage.
Once you have listed all of the items in your food
storage you will want to keep track of the quantity.
Next to the item, you will see several boxes.
Fill in one box for each item you have, using a highlighter.
This will help you to know how many you have on hand.
Put the pages into sheet protectors.
Now all you have to do is put an "X" in the square
next to the item on the list that you took off the shelf.
I use a wet-erase marker to keep track.
When it's time to go shopping, all you have to
do is look for the "X" and
add that item to your shopping list.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
The food storage items are listed on the left side of the page.
The boxes that have been highlighted in yellow
would be what I already have stored on the shelf.
The boxes that have been highlighted in red
would be what I would like to add to my storage.
The "X" shows what items have been used and that
need to be added to my shopping list.
After the items have been replaced,
wipe the "X" off and start over.
To separate your lists into freezer items,
condiments, canned goods . . . etc.
Use different colors of highlighters or markers to
differentiate between the different areas.
For Example:
Squares highlighted in blue could be freezer items, red could
mean condiments, green could mean canned goods . . . etc.
You can mark your shelves with a colored dot
so that items are easy to find on the list.
the BEST part is that . . .
YOU can personalize the lists to match your set up!
Here's the PDF:
(The PDF can be filled out on your computer and printed.)
You also have the option of putting the number in each of the
quantity boxes if you would like to use numbers
as well as a highlighter.
I printed two copies, one for my Vital Records Binder
and one for the Storage Room which I attached to a clipboard.
Good Luck!
Other Ideas and Lists
for Food Storage Inventories
and
Shopping Lists
Were Posted on April 13th
and March 16th
Under Ark Prep 101.
Here's A Link To That Post:
(April Post)
(March Post)

5 comments:

Grannie K said...

I really liked the idea of having a clipboard in the pantry. I always think I will remember to add things to my list, but I don't.

Kathy said...

Thanks so much for all your work on this blog! Everything you post is so useful to me, I really appreciate it.

The Little Red Hen said...

Wonderful! Thank you for this

Mat and Jamie said...

I just found your blog and its wonderful! I LOVE this food storage tracker. When I click on the link it comes up as not found. Is there somewhere else I can find this tracker?

Prepared Not Scared said...

Jamie,
Google group no longer stores the pdf files, but you can still access ALL of them. Go to the 2010Folders at the top right side of the blog. From there you can do a search in each of the folders to find the file you're looking for. I think this one is in folder 3. Folders 1-3 are for the first to middle part of the year, and folders 3-5 are for the middle to last part of the year.
Hope that helps!
Trish