Friday, April 16, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner: Sweet Cabbage Slaw!

Sweet Cabbage Slaw may not be the first
thing you think of when you think of canning, but
HOLY COW . . . it's sooo good!
I serve mine with hot dogs, carnitas and tortillas,
 and pulled pork sandwiches.
It has become one of our favorites . . .
I Promise!
I've offered Sweet Cabbage Slaw to friends who are sure
they'll hate it.  I ended up sending every one of them home 
with a jar of their own!
It's even good . . . straight out of the jar!
Here's the Recipe PDF:
(This recipe is from Julie Mecham . . . Thanks for sharing it with us!)
Preserve It . . . Canning Corner: Sweet Cabbage Slaw Recipe PDF
I got 9 pint jars from 1 head of cabbage,
and cabbage is Super Cheap!

Ingredients:
Cabbage, Shredded
Green, Red, and Yellow Peppers, Chopped
Onion, Chopped
Celery Seeds
Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Mix ingredients and let sit for 1/2 the day.
Fill pint jars leaving 1/4" headspace.
Wipe the tops of the jars and add a new lids.
Tighten lids, fingertight with jar rings.
Process in a Waterbath Canner for 7 minutes.
Make sure all the lids seal.
This is one of my favorite things to can because it takes
about 7 minutes to prepare and 7 minutes to process.
You can't beat that!
Let me know what you think . . . My guess is that you'll LOVE it!

2 comments:

Gail said...

Thank you so much for doing this wonderful blog. I am not in your ward, but live kind of near by. I canned chicken yesterday, and we are quite excited to try it.

Again, Thank you!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

You'll love it! I use mine all them time. You'll be amazed at how much comes out of the bottle. I opened a can (like the canned chicken from Costco) and there was hardly any chicken in the can. A quart jar holds as much as 5 of the other cans, and it's a lot cheaper to can your own chicken! I'm glad to hear you got it done!
Trish