Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Preparedness Project - Back to the Basics!

Have you ever heard of the phrase,
"Use it up . . . Wear it out . . . Make it do . . . Or do without?"
I've heard it a time or two I have to say, but it hasn't been
until lately that I have really tried to apply it in my home.
YOU CAN REALLY SAVE MONEY
when you take on that motto!
We live in a time when a lot of things are just
considered disposeable it seems, but hopefully with a
different perspective . . . that will change.
When was the last time you fixed a button, or hemmed a pair of pants?
And how many of you have ever DARNED a sock?
No . . . that's not what you say when you lose one in the washer!
Instead of throwing the holey sock away . . . YOU FIX IT!
Who'da thought?!?
I only ever remember DARNING a sock
in Sewing 4 H as a part of one of the requirements!
(Oh yah . . . I was Mrs. Wooley one year with my reversable wool vest and matching pleated skirt!)
Ahhhhhh . . . the glory days!
For Today's Preparedness Project
We Will Be Working On Putting Together
A Basic Sewing Kit!
Make Sure YOU Have:
Needles
Thread
Safety Pins
Straight Pins
Sisscors
(That will actually cut fabric!)
Snaps
Hook and Eye
Velcro
Seam Ripper
Patches
Thimble
And IF You Have A Sewing Machine Make Sure YOU Have:
Bobbins
and
Extra Sewing Machine Needles
You can buy Pre-made Sewing Kits
OR
You can take the opportunity to ORGANIZE the
supplies you already have on hand!
I'll show you some easy ways to organize your sewing supplies
NEXT WEEK!
Another Halloween Idea coming later TODAY!
The BOO PDF's have been added
to yesterday's post!

2 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I was just thinking about this this week. Our clothing hamper has a wooden frame for cloth baskets. One of the dowels broke. Last year I probably would have just chucked it and gotten a new one (for too much $$, I'm sure!). However, I went and bought a dowel for .97 cents and FIXED it as good as new. Thanks for the reminder!!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

I'm impressed!