Friday, October 29, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner - Syrup!

This is a new one for me...
Bottled MAPLE Syrup!
I've canned plum and choke cherry syrup,
but I've never canned Maple Syrup before now.
Many pancake syrups can be home-canned.
I was so excited to find out that
I can bottle my own Maple Syrup.
I usually avoid canning anything with dairy products
included in the recipe...still too many questions on the safety
of that, but fruit and maple....they'll work perfectly!
The best part...
It costs about .25 cents per jar to make!
AWWWW-SOME!
Here's the 1st Recipe:
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
2 Tbsp. Karo Syrup
(This will keep the syrup from turning grainy over time.)
1 tsp. Maple Flavoring
Syrup Instructions:
Bring the sugar and water to a boil.
Add maple flavoring and stir.
Syrup will be poured into the jars at the boiling point!
Here's the 2nd Recipe:
(This recipe makes a little thicker syrup.)
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
2 Tbsp. Karo Syrup
1/2 tsp. Maple Flavoring
Syrup Instructions:
Bring the sugar and water to a boil.
Add maple flavoring and stir.
Here's the 3rd Recipe:
(It's got a touch of CINNAMON!)
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Soft Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 cup Corn Syrup
1 cup Water
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cinnamon Stick, (broken in half)
Syrup Instructions:
Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and CAREFULLY remove
the cinnamon stick and pour into clean sterilized jars.
Follow canning directions from here!
Canning Instructions:
If you are going to can pancake syrup,
you will need to bring the syrup to a boiling point
and then pour into clean sterilized jars
leaving about a 1/2-inch head space.
Wipe the rims of the jars to make sure that
they are clean and ready for the new, hot lids.
Simmer lids before putting them on the bottles of hot syrup.
Caution:
When you are working with hot liquids...be very careful!
I usually keep oven mits handy when I'm canning.
Place filled jars into a boiling waterbath canner.
Process PINTS for 7 minutes.
Start timing when the water returns to a boil.
Remove jars from canner and cool on a wire rack.
Here's the PDF:
Note:
The recipes listed above are for a regular batch of syrup.
For canning . . . Make sure you 3,4,or 7 times the recipe!
Now you're ready for some of these...
FLUFFY PANCAKES!
Woot...Woot!
Lots to post today!
I will be posting AFTER I go can
some TURKEY CHUNKS
at the Cannery!
I will also be adding the PDF to this post and the
pictures and PDF to the Gobble post.

7 comments:

Lori said...

This is exciting news!! I love canning, and never thought of doing syrup-good to know!! Do you know how many pints recipie #2 will make?

Stephanie said...

Sounds delicious! And super easy! Question though..do you know how long you can store it ONCE it's been opened? And do you keep it in the fridge after it's been opened, or in a pantry. (That's where we usually keep ours after we've opened it. Maybe we're doing it all wrong. :D) Thanks for an awesome $$ saver and recipe! :D

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Bottled syrup is just like store bought syrup. It has the same shelf life once it's been opened and can be stored in the pantry or in the fridge. I'm a pantry girl myself... I'm not a big fan of freezing cold syrup on fresh hot pancakes, but it will work either way.
Hope that helps!
Trish

pam said...

Thanks for sharing, my kids love it when I make homemade syrup, but I wasn't sure how to can it, thank you, they will be so happy to know I will make some and have it on hand in a hurry. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Does this syrup need to go through the canning process or just put in the jar and your set to go?

Unknown said...

Did you use pure maple flavoring or the artificial?
Thanks,
Tricia Smith

Unknown said...

Did you use the pure maple flavoring or the artificial?
Thanks,
Tricia Smith