Monday, May 17, 2010

For the Strength of Youth Family Home Evening: Dress and Appearance!

Opening Prayer:
Scripture:
"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the
Spirit of God dwelleth in you? . . . The temple of God is holy,
which temple ye are"
(1 Corinthians 3:16-17)
Thought:
If it's too tight, too short, or too revealing,
It doesn't fit church standards.
Don't shrink your standards to fit the world's.
Music:
Jenny Phillips puts together a CD every year with
songs to go with the year's theme.
Strong and Courageous is the name of the CD.
This year's theme is found in Joshua 1:9
"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid,
neither be thou dismayed: for the
Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
Song:
The words to one of my favorite songs on the CD says,
"I didn't come to earth to compromise,
I came here to hold up my light.
No matter what the world may do,
I'm a daughter (or son) of God, and I'm holding on to virtue."
I want the minds of men to be lifted when
they look at me.
I don't need the attention of immodesty,
I am confident with my divinity.
(The words say it perfectly and the music is beautiful.)
The whole CD is AMAZING! Definately worth buying!
We are the best examples our children can have when it
comes to modesty.  We set the dress standards in our homes,
by our example of dress.
Activity:
Immodesty Give Away!
Read Mosiah 18:9
"Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn;
yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and
to Stand as Witnesses of God at ALL Times
and in ALL Places . . ."
Thought Questions:
What does "Standing as a Witness"
have to do with modesty?
Would you dress differently
if you were going to see the Prophet?
Would you dress differently
if you were going to see the Savior?
What do your clothes say about YOU?
Challenge:
Encourage each family member to take a few minutes to go
into their closets and bring back anything that would be
consisdered immodest.
We will be offering our boys an incentive for each
article of immodest clothing they were willing to give away.
For each family member that participates in the challenge
we will present them with the
MODESTY ROCKS AWARD!
Attach a package of Pop Rocks to each card.
Here's the PDF:
Modesty Rocks Awards and Journal Page PDF
You will need:
A package of Pop Rocks for each award
and a printed copy of the PDF.
Take the opportunity to bear testimony of the importance of
STANDING AS A WITNESS AT ALL TIMES
AND IN ALL PLACES
which includes modest dress at
School, Church, Dances, Parties, Swimming Pools, and anywhere
else we are . . . at ALL times!
Take pictures to add to your Family Home Evening Journal.
You can also have each member of your family sign the
Modesty Rocks Commitment Page
(Included in the PDF)
and add it to your journal.

We are going to have each family member sign a ROCK!
Closing Prayer:
Here's the Family Home Evening Treat:
Here's the Recipe PDF:
They really are as good as they look!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I didn't see an email to contact you so I am leaving a note here. I was wondering if it would be ok with you to use the information and forms on your blog for my Spanish ward. I would (obviously) translate it and redo the PDFs in Spanish. I love all the great information and it would be wonderful to share it with people in my unit. Please email (verolache@hotmail.com) me to see if I have your permission. Thank you, Veronica.

Unknown said...

I'm not part of your ward, but I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your hard work into this blog. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks

thegirlwiththeplan said...

Your family nights are so great. I think I might steal this one for a YW lesson some time soon.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Thank You for your sweet comment, I really do appreciate it!
Trish

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

You'll have to let me know how the YW lesson turns out!
Trish