Friday, May 21, 2010

A House of Order and FUN: Day Keeper Part 1!

Are you ready to get started?!?
This is something I've been working on for a few years.
I have a background in organizing
and have been organizing since 1989.
Durring that time, and I have had the opportunity
to work with lots of different women
in every season of life.
We have alot on our plates and it's not always easy
to get everything on our list done.
Especially if our lists are written on
the back of receipts, post-it notes, and old shopping lists.
Hopefully this will help.
(It's been a lifesaver for me and my family!)
The Day Keeper can be adapted to work
for whatever season you're in, including Grandparenting!
Most of my planning is done on a weekly basis.
Even though each day of my week has a
different purpose and focus,
the daily format is very consistent.
Consistency IS Key!
If you don't have to think about
Everything Everyday
you will save time and energy.
It's kind of like going into Auto Pilot.
You just do it without thinking!
(And that's actually a good thing when you are running a household!)
So . . . Here WE Go!
Grab some post-it notes and a pen.
Start by listing each of the days of the week on a seperate
post-it. I put mine up on the wall so that I could really
get an idea of how my days looked.
List each of the other tasks you have as a homemaker
on a seperate post-it.
For Example:
Grocery Shopping, Menu Planning, Paying Bills,
Cleaning and Laundry, Yard Care . . . etc.
Next:
List appointments and regular weekly schedules.
Place each appointment under the day it happens.
Include the name of the person(s) involved in the activity
as well as the time and place.
Here's a picture of what mine looks like:
Once you have this part complete, you can start filling out your
Weekly Overview Sheet:
You are basically transferring what you have on the wall.
I did mine with post-it notes first so that I could move
different assignments to different days . . . That way
I could make my daily work load a little bit more even.
I didn't want to have to deep clean
Bathrooms and the Kitchen on the same day.
I do a quick pick-up in all the rooms, but I deep clean
certain rooms on certain days.
This information is then transfered to the
Days of the Week Pages!






Here are the PDF files:
It might seem like you are doing a lot of extra work to set this
Family Organizing System up . . . but I promise, this is the best
way to put it together and have it be unique to
YOUR FAMILY'S NEEDS.
That's all the homework for today!
Tomorrow we will start to assemble the book,
and YES, you'll finally get to see what it looks like.
I just want you to be able to complete each
section before you move onto the next.
NO UNFINISHED PROJECTS FOR US!!!

14 comments:

irbuanosraL said...

This is going to change my life. Thanks so much!!!!!

dreamofgenie2008 said...

I am so ready....

Kdskids said...

Thanks so much for posting this..I have been struggling to figure out a better system that didn't lead to frustration...

Unknown said...

I am a major "lister" so this looks awesome. I can't wait to see how it helps keep me caught up on all my responsibilities.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic, and comes at the perfect time for me, as I find myself to be super busy lately.

Michelle said...

I hate to be overly dramatic, but you are exactly what I need in my life!!! Thank you so much for sharing all this information! I am so excited to use this system.

Julie said...

I love the type in pages. I just wanted to let you know that Monday and Tuesday are posted like the other days and I'm not able to type in those 2 days at all. I love my Day Keeper already and I haven't even finished it completely. Thanks you for your efforts. I really appreciate all the wonderful ideas you post.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

I did notice that the Monday and Tuesday pages aren't letting you type in your own information. Valerie is working on fixing the problem . . . she's a PRO!
(Thanks Valerie!)
Have a Great Day!
Trish

Elizabeth said...

Hello. This is the best Family day planner I have found. Thank you for sharing.

I am having a problem downloading the type in Days. Would you be able to email them to me? If so my email is momluvs2read at gmail dot com

Thank you for your site.

Jessica Yoder said...

Thanks for these - But, the page links aren't working...?!

Prepared Not Scared said...

Google group no longer stores the pdf files, but you can still access ALL of the files. Just go to the 2010 Folders at the top right hand side of the blog. From there you can do a search in each of the folders to find what you are looking for. Folders 1-3 are for the first to middle part of the monthe and folders 3-5 are for the middle to last part.
Hope that helps!
Trish

Cody Doll said...

I tried clicking on your pdf file link and the link came up broken. I just want you to know.

Cody
www.solemnsound.blogspot.com

Prepared Not Scared said...

Cody,
Hopefully this will help!
http://www.mediafire.com/?7x2w80s34zoepj2
http://www.mediafire.com/?buo0v37vacfbvuc
http://www.mediafire.com/?qn6ua7bykwxnjb2
Hope you have a great day!
Trish

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for posting the mediafire files!